Recipe type: Entree
Chicken Curry is an Ethiopian food recipe spiced with homemade curry.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- ½ tsp ground red pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 4 to 6 pieces chicken
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup fresh coriander
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, ginger root, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves, red pepper, and turmeric and stir.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook about 10 minutes or until tomato paste separates from oil. Stir to blend oil and tomato paste.
- Add chicken, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add coriander and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes more.