Recipe type: Entree
This Beef Pilaf, Ethiopian food recipe is mixed with spices and coconut milk.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb lean beef, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup rice
- ½ tsp cardamom seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oil
- Heat 2 tbsp of butter in a heavy skillet and saute onions and garlic.
- Mix in the meat and tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, until the meat begins to brown.
- Add water and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, rice, spices and lemon juice and stir to combine. The water and coconut milk should cover the rice by ½ inch. If they do not, add more water.
- Cover the pan and simmer until the rice is tender (about 20 to 25 minutes). Use a fork to stir. Remove from heat and sprinkle with 1 tsp oil.
- Place uncovered in a 375F oven for about 20 minutes, or until all the moisture is absorbed.