Wali na Samaki
Recipe type: Entree
Wali na Samaki is an Ethiopian food recipe of fish and rice in sauce.
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cup water
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2½ lbs skinless fish fillets
- 1 cup flour
- vegetable oil
- 6 cup cooked rice
- Combine the first nine ingredients in a large pot and stir bringing to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer the sauce, covered, for about 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 200F. Wash the fish fillets in cold water and pat dry.
- Pour the flour onto a plate. Dip the fillets, shaking off the excess flour and placing them on a plate.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a few of the fish pieces at a time and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Use a spatula to lift out each fish piece. Transfer the pieces to a baking dish. Keep warm in oven while frying the rest of the fish. Add more oil to the pan as needed.
- To serve the meal, place a large spoonful of rice on each plate, top with the fish, and then cover with the vegetable sauce.